There’s something about little books that I love – well, there’s something about almost ALL books that I love – but with little books, I think it’s the fact that I feel like I can take them anywhere. There aren’t many cookbooks that fit into that category. Usually they’re pretty big and bulky, or they are really specific to one topic. But The Little Vegan Cookbook: 500 of the Best Vegan Recipes Ever, put out by the Editors of Fair Winds Press, is an exception. It’s small, compact AND full of quite the array of amazing recipes.
This is a summer find, for sure. The first thing I thought of when I got my hands on this book was that it would be the perfect thing to take when I go out to our family cottage – away from wifi and computers, but somewhere where I often have the time and audience to warrant trying out a plethora of new recipes. This book boasts recipes by 10 popular vegan recipe authors, and I actually recognized some of the recipes from other cookbooks I have – ones that I already love.
This book is perfect for:
- travelling! If you are heading out on holiday this summer and you want to bring some great recipes, but have limited space, this book will be your best travelling companion. It’s compact, but full of a wide variety of great vegan recipes, from appetizers to desserts and beverages.
- anyone looking to expand their vegan repertoire. Full of great ideas, and recipes ranging from easy to more involved, there is something for everyone in The Little Vegan Cookbook.
- newbie vegans who haven’t found favorite vegan recipe authors yet – or any vegan food lover who is looking for new inspiration. This book is a compilation of recipes from 10 well-known vegan cooks, including J.L. Fields, Colleen Patrick-Goudreau, Celine Steen, and more!
We have been sharing some of the recipes on the Vegan Mainstream Cookbook Club over the past week, and here’s one of my favorites so far:
SHREDDED BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH APPLES AND PECANS
Here is a wonderful way to enjoy Brussel sprouts.
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) oil
- 1½ pounds (685 g) Brussels sprouts, washed and shredded (cut into strips)
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 large tart apple, cubed and unpeeled
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon (20 g) maple syrup
- ⅓ cup (50 g) pecans, toasted and chopped
- Black pepper, to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon, optional
In a large sauté pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Sauté the sprouts and ½ teaspoon of the salt for 7 to 10 minutes, or until the sprouts begin to brighten. Add the apple, garlic, and syrup. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the apples are heated through but not too soft. At the end of the cooking time, add the pecans, salt and pepper to taste, and juice, if using and toss.
Yield: 2 to 4 servings
Recipe and photo courtesy of The Little Vegan Cookbook and @QuartoCooks